American Idol: Meet Your Season 11 Finalists!
Last night, America chose the Top 10 finalists for Season 11 of American Idol! Once the top 5 guys and top 5 girls were announced, Randy, Jennifer, and Steven called up 6 “wild cards,” people they thought deserved to be finalists but were not voted in by the country.
The 6 contestants that sang for a second chance were bluesy Jen Hirsh, Teddy bear Jeremy Rosado, Maxwell-esque Deandre Brackensick, diva Brielle Von Hugel, “power voice” Erika Van Pelt and showman Reed Grimm.
Try as she might, Jen Hirsh’s rendition of “Oh, Darling” by the Beatles wasn’t enough to convince the judges she deserved a spot in the Top 13. Neither was Von Hugel’s “Someone Like You” or Grimm’s “Use Me.”
Jeremy Rosado sang for his life to Carrie Underwood’s “I Know You Won’t.” His performance brought Jennifer Lopez and himself to tears. He received a standing ovation and a well-deserved spot in the Top 13. Erika Van Pelt’s “Edge of Glory” by Lady Gaga proved to Randy that she had the “power voice” he so often calls her out on, and DeAndre Brackensick’s “Georgia” had Steven Tyler backing up his incredible range.
Now that the Top 13 are set in stone, tune in to FOX every Wednesday and Thursday at 7 p.m. CST to vote and watch your favorites vie for the title of Season 11’s American Idol! Here are some fun facts about and connections through Facebook and Twitter to your Top 13; one of these will be this season’s winner!
1. DeAndre Brackensick
– This wild card pick by Steven Tyler has crazy range. From incredibly high to dangerously low, DeAndre can sing it all.
Hometown: San Jose, CA
1. I love Hawaiian culture.
2. My two closest friends have the exact same hair as me.
3. I make Polynesian costumes for a living.
Watch DeAndre’s performance from this week
2. Hollie Cavanagh
– Cavanagh is proof that sometimes big things come in small packages. Her take on Christina Aguilera’s “Reflection” proved that there is a huge, booming voice inside this tiny, young girl.
Hometown: McKinney, TX
1. I love old couples.
2. I play soccer.
3. I have a shoe obsession.
Watch Hollie’s performance from this week
3. Colton Dixon
– Never on American Idol has there been such a distinctively alternative/indie/punk rocker like Dixon. He also plays the piano, a talent he showcases as often as possible.
Hometown: Murfreesboro, TN
1. I love to skimboard at the beach.
2. I was an extra in the “Hannah Montana” movie.
3. I have a bobblehead collection.
Watch Colton’s performance from this week
4. Heejun Han
– Not only does Jennifer Lopez claim Heejun has a “voice like silk,” he is also probably the funniest and most uninhibited contestant this season. He has also developed a close friendship with fellow Top 13 contestant Phillip Phillips.
Hometown: Flushing, NY
1. I can do an impression of “Smeagol” from The Lord of the Rings.
2. I can eat a whole cup of noodles in less than 10 seconds.
3. I can predict a specific incident by dreaming about it a couple of days before.
Watch Heejun’s performance from this week
5. Jermaine Jones
– The judges brought Jones back into the Top 24 after initially turning him down. His deep baritone and soulful voice make Jones an interesting addition to the competition.
Hometown: Pine Hill, NJ
1. I have a great sense of humor.
2. I like to shop.
3. I like to dance.
Watch Jermaine’s performance from this week
6. Skylar Laine
– Laine’s fun performance of “Stay With Me” by Rod Stewart had Randy calling her a “rocker Country girl.” The judges constantly say she sounds like Reba McEntire with her sweet, country twang.
Hometown: Brandon, MS
1. I drive a big truck.
2. My favorite college team is the Ole Miss Rebels.
3. I have a small collection of knives.
Watch Skylar’s performance from this week
7. Joshua Ledet
– Ledet tapped his soul and gospel roots with his powerful rendition of Jennifer Hudson’s “You Pulled Me Through,” earning him a standing ovation from the judges as well as the audience.
Hometown: Westlake, LA
1. I’m addicted to spicy foods.
2. My favorite color is blue.
3. I’m scared of any horror movie with zombies in it.
Watch Joshua’s performance from this week
8. Shannon Magrane
– Standing at a staggering 6-feet-tall, 16-year-old Magrane has a frighteningly mature voice. Her deep, beautiful voice will definitely be one to beat.
Hometown: Tampa, FL
1. I sing all the time — in school hallways, the shower, everywhere.
2. I can cross my eyes.
3. I love to rollerblade.
Watch Shannon’s performance from this week
9. Phillip Phillips
– Han’s b.f.f. Phillips is always re-imagining random classics whether it’s Usher’s “Nice and Slow” or Phil Collins’ “In the Air Tonight.” His voice and guitar make each song his own.
Hometown: Leesburg, GA
1. I am double-jointed in my thumbs.
2. I love watching movies.
3. I can do an impression of “Herbert” from Family Guy.
Watch Phillip’s performance from this week
10. Jeremy Rosado
– Known as the nicest guy in the bunch, his raw emotion prompted Jennifer Lopez to give him a second chance as her “wild card” pick.
Hometown: Valrico, FL
1. I love airplanes.
2. I love Chinese food.
3. I’m huggable.
Watch Jeremy’s performance from this week
11. Jessica Sanchez
– Much like Cavanagh, hidden inside tiny Sanchez is an enormous voice with amazing range from high to low. Jennifer called her a “natural born performer.”
Hometown: San Diego, CA
1. I can rap.
2. I love video games.
3. I have more than 30 pairs of shoes.
Watch Jessica’s performance from this week
12. Elise Testone
– Testone’s deep, raspy voice can convey some crazy emotion. Her take on Adele’s “One and Only” earned her a spot in America’s Top 10.
Hometown: Charleston, SC
1. I skateboard with my dog.
2. I can move my ears.
3. I can juggle.
Watch Elise’s performance from this week
13. Erika Van Pelt
– America didn’t appreciate her performance of 80s hit “What About Love,” but Randy gave her a second chance as his “wild card” pick after her booming voice shone through in her rendition of “Edge of Glory” by Lady Gaga.
Hometown: South Kingstown, RI
1. I love all things “Star Wars.”
2. I secretly want to be a pirate.
3. When I’m stressed, I like to go to the arcade.
Watch Erika’s performance from this week